I did not have a good grasp on my supply or product inventory. I was seriously undercharging for my all natural soaps (eo's are a small fortune). My batch notes were scrawled on post-its and backs of envelopes, which I would then misplace. And I was generally disorganized in keeping track of my business. Not any more...
SoapMaker 3 Professional Edition software
The SoapMaker 3 keeps track of all your supplies, your recipes (soap and non soap), and your products and sales. It is very easy to use. When you first get started, you will spend many hours entering all of your data, but it is worth it.
The SoapMaker 3 does the following:
- Tracks supplies and lets you know when to order more
- Determines pricing of supplies for recipes
- Tracks your purchases and suppliers
- Even stores extra info like the INCI names
- Allows you to enter all of your recipes for soap and non soap products
- Auto-magically determines all of your COG for each product
- Shows the percentages of your ingredients in each recipe
- Even has a bar graph to show the qualities of your soap recipe, hardness, lather, moisturizing ability, etc.
- Tracks the batches you make and when they are finished curing
- Auto-magically deducts the ingredients in the batch from your supply inventory
- Tracks sales of products
- Even allows you to put a photo of the product with the batch
What it doesn't do, but I wish it would:
- Allow you to add labor costs, overhead percentages, and profit into each of the batch figures to get even more accurate pricing, instead of having a separate spreadsheet for that.
- Provide more reports and lists - I like to print reports and lists so I can see the big picture better in all the categories, but there isn't much to do in this arena
- I would love for this to connect with an accounting program like Quickbooks.
All in all this is a fantastic piece of software for a steal at $89 for the professional edition. If you are a member of the HSMG, you get 10% off. It is worth its weight in gold as I can already see how it is saving me time and money, and I just started using it. I was quite impressed with the ease of use, the cross referencing between products, supplies, and recipes, and the amount of thought that went into this product. It is not just a run of the mill program that is altered to fit many industries. It is clearly for soapmakers and whoever designed it is a genius. That's right, a GENIUS!
I am so excited to get my office organized and take charge of the paper side of the business of soapmaking. And it is a major relief to be able to track my batches and get my pricing right once and for all. Is anyone else using this?